I got a DUI but need to drive. Is there any way to keep my license?

Unfortunately, the law requires a license suspension when a person is convicted of a DUI. The length of the suspension is mandatory and the judge has no discretion. However, you might be eligible for a hardship permit that would allow you to drive during certain times and for specific purposes (for example, driving to work, taking the kids to school, etc.).

For a DUI conviction, the hardship permit wait period varies based upon which number conviction you are on. A first conviction carries no waiting period for a hardship permit (although, a judge may require you to complete certain requirements before agreeing to sign off). For a second conviction within 5 years, the wait time is 90 days. For a 3rd or subsequent DUII, no hardship permit is available.

Likewise, if your license is suspended by the DMV based upon the implied consent law, you might be eligible for a hardship permit.

Rob Crow
Connect with me
Licensed to practice law in all State & Federal Courts in Oregon.
Post A Comment